Thursday, April 19, 2012

if you wanna visit the zoo......

I don't know where everybody is from where we are, but we have a zoo about 10 minutes away by car, and, as I have found out, quite a bit longer on foot! LOL. Mind you, if you're looking for a zoo like Artis, Emmen, Antwerpen and the like, I think you may be dissapointed. It's nothing like it. As a matter of fact GAIA ZOO is only 5 years old! It started out as Gaia Park, but I think it was decided that it didn't give the idea that there were animals there... so it was changed somewhere last year, beginning of this year. BUT, to me, it's great. It's easy to get to, there's enough animals to keep it interesting, even after 3 trips (and planning a 4rth one and renewing my annual membership) but it is smallish. The animals are mostly NOT in cages, but that makes them more fun to watch. They're rebuilding some of the "older" areas to optimize viewing of the animals as well as trading animals with other zoo's, so there's lots of things changing between visits. They have an aviary show, which I YET have to catch, but they were practicing with the bald eagle last time I was there, so I'll make sure to catch it soon.

BUT the reason I'm mentioning it now, is that there is another IKEA family night coming up on June 1st from 19.00 to 22.00. For 8 euro's per person, max 4 to a card, with voucher, to be picked up at the Heerlen Ikea, or 10 Euro's for non voucher holders you can visit with the animals. The whole zoo was accessible last year, including the restaurant...... So, if you are in the neighborhood around that time, check it out for yourself.

I know, I'm shamelessly advertising for them, but I think it is such a cool place to spend a couple of hours!

Hope you can find the time!

Hugs,
Pauli

I'm reposting a page I made from when my sister and I went this winter. I haven't had the inspirations to work on the pictures I took when I went last month :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment